Tuesday, 27 May 2014

The only Nigerian journalist with access to Boko Haram flown home to negotiate with group

Nigerian journalist, Ahmad Salkida, who previously worked for Daily
Trust and Premium Times and reported extensively on Boko Haram, fled
Nigeria to Dubai 2 years ago after being accused of being a Boko Haram
sympathizer. He said he fled after 'his life and that of his family
became endangered' after security agencies began to mistake his
in-depth reporting on the terrorist group as evidence of his closeness
to them. He went underground for several weeks before finally fleeing
Nigeria. Salkida was perhaps the only Nigerian journalist/civilian to
have access to Boko Haram, and he said at the time that he'd turned
down Boko Haram's many requests for him to publish exclusive
interviews and materials for them.

Anyway according to new reports, the Nigerian government flew him back
home a few weeks ago to negotiate with Boko Haram on their behalf,
since he's the only civilian who has allegedly seen Boko Haram leader
Abubakar Shekau and come out alive. He reportedly came back home after
the Nigerian government assured him that he will not be arrested. (See
his tweets). Continue...

From UK Daily Mail
One hundred non-combatant, low-level sympathisers were to be freed and
the two groups brought together in a convoy of buses accompanied by a
hand-picked go-between, respected Nigerian journalist Ahmad Salkida.

The plan had been agreed in tortuous negotiations in response to
worldwide outrage over a night-time raid on a school in the town of
Chibok on April 14 when the girls were abducted from their
dormitories.

Mr Salkida was born in Borno State, where Boko Haram originated. He
has known its leaders all his life and has unprecedented access.

He has been arrested on several occasions accused of being a Boko
Haram sympathiser, and he fled with his family to Dubai two years ago.

But two weeks ago, he was summoned out of exile by President
Jonathan's aides. He initially feared he might face arrest, but was
then given a letter of indemnity signed by the President when he flew
to Nigeria.

Sources said Mr Salkida was able to travel by taxi to the group's
forest camp to talk to Shekau two weeks ago. 'His mission was
secretive and dangerous,' they said.

He is probably the only civilian with access to Shekau. There is trust
between them and Salkida had only one aim – to get the schoolgirls
out.

He reported afterwards that the group of girls he saw were alive and
well, and being adequately fed and sheltered. They told him all they
wanted was to go home.

Salkida's mission was complicated by the chaos surrounding
government's pronouncements about negotiations with the terrorist
group.

Shekau has released two shocking videos showing the girls dressed in
hijabs and reciting verses from the Koran.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, You have done a great job. I'll certainly digg it and
personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this web site.


My homepage: http://Medical.prokr.com/contact/